Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cooking for one... pot!


I LOVE one-pot meals. Really, there's nothing more satisfying then the coming together of flavours in one dish, which really, makes digesting quite easy. Consider the pot acting as your stomach, working out all the chemical differences, so that by the time you eat it, it is chemically like 'one food'! Oh yes - the finest of food combining - cook it all together!

I cook things in order from slowest to fastest, obviously. So this is how I might cook myself a one-potter:
- Put a little water in the bottom of the pot and bring to boil, or at least hot
- Add spices to infuse like a tea... such as cumin, fennel, mustard, bl. pepper (my favs)
- Add pungent vegetables like onions, leeks, garlic, etc. I think I used ginger and leek here
- Add hearty root veggies, like potato, carrot or beet. I think I only used carrot in this dish
- When roots are soft, add other veg like zucchini, which is what I did here
- I tossed in some nuts and seeds as well - which soaks and cooks them a little, which is good
- From here, you can add more water and add some grain, as I did with quinoa! Cover and cook until grains are soft, for quinoa - about 15 minutes. I threw in some brown rice pasta because I was having a party for myself that night, and pasta is pretty fun.
- Add herbs at the end, like thyme or whatever else. I added my fresh ones at the very end though
- Serve a dishfull, and that stir in some leafy greens like kale, and they'll cook in just the heat of the food.
- Prepare a small dressing/sauce, or simply just pour over a little flax/hemp oil, apple cider vinegar, or whatever inspires you.
- Add fresh chopped herbs, like basil, parsley, chives, or whatever ya got!

This is pretty elaborate, but my entire meal came from one dish! It made enough for two servings, and I had just ONE POT to clean up! Isn't it amazing.. ONE POT!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments encouraging and positive as this site is intended to empower! Thank you!...