Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sprouted Banana Kamut Cookies!





So what to do with 10 day leftover grain sprouts sitting in the fridge? They got really slimy, sticky, but were incredible fragrant with that delicious aromatic punch created from fermentation. The sprouts were used for sprouted bread, and so were only grown to about 1/2" long or shorter, which retains the grains starchy, meatiness that is required for bread making. If the sprouts were any longer, it would've become more like a veggie sprout and would've been more green and better for a sandwich, for instance.

So I've got quasi-fermented, half sprouted kamut, neglected and needing some love.

Step one: Dry them out - I laid them out on a baking sheet (I woefully used a non-stick although I usually avoid them.. but as they were so sticky and I didn't want to ruin the experiment, I really didn't want them to stick!)

Distribute them evenly on a the sheet, and leave them to dry in the oven at about 310 or so... not to cook them, just to dry up the sticky fermented film and give them a gentle pan toasting. I think I had them in there for 15 minutes, flipped them about, and then gave them another 10 or so...

Step two: Grind the dried, toasty grains in a grinder or something that will bring them to a paste.. like a wet flour. This is similar to making sprouted bread, but I toasted them first.

Step three: Add in a bowl and mix:
  • ground, sprouted, toasted grains (about 1-1/2 cups.. give or take)
  • 1/3 cup oat flakes
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1 tsp dried ginger and cinnamon each
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp ghee or butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Step four: Grease up your baking sheet with some of the ghee/butter, set the oven  to 375F, wet your hands with cold water, and then form little balls with the mixture. Press them down into cookies on the cookie sheet.. I made 3 large and 2 small with my batch, but I'm sure far more can be made with more ingredients or improvising. 

Step five: Bake for 30 minutes (I did 35 minutes, but the bottoms got to browned, and the still set nicely). Take them out and let them cool in a place where air can get underneath... like a wire rack. Wait until the set a little.. and enjoy!

These cookies had such a neat taste and aroma - something I've never tasted before. So earthy, hearty, almost with a beer-like dank to them... rich and sweet tasting, but not heavy or powerful. Just a wallop of that centred-sweet flavour you can only get from grains - especially fermented! Yum! 
Note: As with anything fermented, please use your nose to determine the 'quality' of the food! I have never had a failed fermentation project (more like accident!), but I always throw things away if the smell is putrid and foul. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments encouraging and positive as this site is intended to empower! Thank you!...