Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, December 19, 2008

A Yaconic Soliloquy


So I've been NOT using concentrated sweeteners for the most part over the past 5 months, and have been experiencing a lot of new heights. Paul Pitchford's words of wisdom: concentrated sweeteners create a desire for sweet things in life, has been completely understood and experienced. Wow! Truly, most of North America consumes sweets daily, most in the form of white sugar, but then even those who have managed to escape the shackles of white sugar are usually bound to natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, agave or some other. I was given some yacon as a gift a couple of weeks ago, and as a note, yacon is one of the yummiest sweeteners available that does NOT alter blood sugar levels or contribute to digestive dampness such as candida or dysbiosis, and so is regarded as safe - but I have been reminded of one thing this week - it's still sweet! 

And so as I had been using it, I noticed a shift in my personality. Where I had no problems sitting down daily for a period of quiet or meditation, I found it unimportant or uninteresting. I started feeling like more sweeteners, and so honey and other things started appearing in our cupboards, but then I started desiring things again. Money became important, too important, and I started feeling aggressive and impatient, and wanting instantaneous results. Instead of sitting down with some quiet to centre myself and bring myself to balance, I just simply starting craving more... more of what? Money, results, sweets, things and unimportant minutiae. It all came to a realization when it started involving other people and they let me know that I was being too forceful, unreceptive and quite impatient. Aha! The fog started to clear.

So the next morning I realized that whatever I wanted can wait, whatever I needed I already had enough of - there simply was nothing in my exterior world that could bring me happiness but what was inside. So I sat down... and sat some more... hours really, until I came home, and then realized my lesson - and what a glad lesson. "Falling off of the wagon" is always such a great thing because you realized what wagon you were sitting on! So now I am writing with my centre centred, patience recharged, and a desire to do nothing but sit here and type - and wouldn't you know it, I'm actually getting more work done by being this way - centred and present... and happy!

The yacon is great, I highly recommend it, but unfortunately I'm setting it aside for special occasions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments encouraging and positive as this site is intended to empower! Thank you!...