Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday, April 20, 2009

As-close-to-normal-but-healthy Pancakes

I made these everyday this week. Firstly, to see if I could perfect them, and secondly, because they were so good and there was something about them that made me hum like a.. I have no cliche for that. I just hummed when I ate them. (I mean felt harmonious and wonderful).

They can be made without soaking the flour - but soaking it gave it the hum factor I was looking for. Soak for an hour or so:
  • 2 cups whole grain spelt flour, with a little salt
  • 1 cup goat milk (I didn't try water, but I'm sure that would work too
Then stir in:
  • 1 egg beaten, and a bit more milk if the batter got too sticky from soaking
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder (please get aluminum free!)
  • any seasonings you wish - I used almond extract and pomegranate syrup, it was great!
Brush a pan with butter/ghee on LOW heat! Once hot, laddle in the sticky batter and spread out the cakes with a wet utensil or your hands dipped in cold water (batter doesn't stick that way)

Let them cook slowly, on low-medium heat (like 4 on an electric stove) and then flip once the first bubble on top becomes solid.
Cook on the other side for about half the time of the first, and then transfer to a warmed toaster oven or directly to your mouth.

I topped these with flax oil and stevia, but you can use your imagination on how to top! They make nice little lunch snacks too, like muffins, because they are good on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments encouraging and positive as this site is intended to empower! Thank you!...