Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, April 3, 2009

Home-made Veggie Pate!

As a treat, I occasionally like to get veggie pate from the natural food store and eat in on a sandwich or as a side to something fun, but I'd really like to be able to make it on my own so I can make it as a treat, instead of buy it, even though I like to support folks who make this kind of stuff and make it available in stores - because it is a nice treat!

So it's my first batch, and far from perfection, but this is what I did:
Blend the following in a food processor:
  • 1-1/2 cups soaked buckwheat (from 3/4 cup dry)
  • 1 cup oat flakes
  • 1 cup diced eggplant
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds, ground
  • 1/2 cup whole spelt flour, or other
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/3 cup each diced potato, onion, carrot
  • 1 Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • Some salt
Oil a casserole dish, and put the blended paste into the dish. .. and I just realize that I didn't write down how long I cooked it for!! But I'm willing to bet it was at 350F for at least 45 minutes.. you could try that - but watch for the browness at the top, that might be an indication of how done it is.
As a side note, I actually bought some veggie pate from the store to compare mine to the "real" thing, and after having one bite of it before making it, I walked away to answer the phone or something, and when I came back, the dog had eaten the WHOLE thing with not a crumb left over. Yes folks.. it's just that good... mine was also very good... but maybe a little drier (I don't like using a lot of oil in my cooking, and I didn't get it so perfectly pureed as I could have.. but it was AWESOME.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments encouraging and positive as this site is intended to empower! Thank you!...